This guide will teach you everything you need to know about using data assets and give you some ideas for using them.
Data assets are well-maintained models configured with a dozen of pre-defined metrics. You can find all available data assets on the right-hand sidebar in your workspace.
The benefit of using data assets is two-fold:
- Easy-to-use: Data assets let business users extract metrics without knowing SQL.
- Collaborative: Using data asset across dashboards & reports instead of copy-pasting SQL snippets make your business logic more consistent and easier to maintain.
You can create a data asset from any existing question.
Click the "Create as data asset" button in the "Modeling" tab on the right-hand sidebar.
Click the + button to add a metric. Currently, Tellery supports two types of metrics:
- Aggregated metric: calculate the metric by aggregating values within a column
- Custom SQL metric: calculate the metric by a custom SQL
Don't forget to give it a meaningful name.
Example: You can inspect the following data asset Order to see the SQL behind it and its metrics.
- First, drag and drop a data asset from the right-hand sidebar to your story.
- Second, choose at least one metric as well as a couple of dimensions to summarize.
You can also add any visualizations to understand the summarized data better.
You can open the smart query in the editor to see how to use data assets in SQL.
Tellery allows you to embed a piece of SQL (through CTE) from one question into another.